Blisters for Bread in association with Lucky Star raises R581 877 to feed 939 hungry schoolchildren for a year.
On a beautiful, warm, sunny, and wind-free Sunday, 25 August 2023, 6 057 people consisting of families, friends, and individuals of all ages united in the fight against childhood hunger in Green Point to walk in the Peninsula School Feeding Association’s (PSFA) 55th Blisters for Bread in association with Lucky Star – The Barefoot Edition and yes, quite a few people accepted our challenge to walk barefoot.
The walks (5km and 10km) along the beautiful Sea Point Promenade raised a fantastic R581 877.00 from entry fees and donations that were made in support of the event. 100% of this amount will enable PSFA to serve 939 schoolchildren affected by poverty daily nutritious breakfasts and lunches for an entire year.
High-profile Western Cape Government and City of Cape Town officials who walked on the day included the Premier of the Western Cape, Alan Winde, MEC of Education, David Maynier, MEC of Cultural Affairs & Sport, Anroux Marais, and the Deputy Mayor of Cape Town, Eddie Andrews. They were joined by the CEO of The Oceana Group, Neville Brink, Lourens de Waal, the Managing Director of Lucky Star and the Chairman of PSFA, Brian Benatar.
After crossing the finish line and collecting their medals, because everyone who walks in Blisters for Bread is a winner, and enjoying their complimentary refreshments provided by Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages, the walkers were treated to a fantastic live concert featuring top South African singers Sayde Fillis, Krista Mafakala Jonas and Nur Abrahams. A big thank you to Heart FM presenter Jeremy Harris for announcing during the concert.
PSFA hereby wishes to thank the following people, companies, and organisations that played a vital role in ensuring the success of our 55th Blisters for Bread Charity Family Fun Walk:
- Everyone who entered the 10km and 5km walks
- Lucky Star – main sponsor
- Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages – official hydration partner
- Heart FM – official radio partner
- People’s Post – official print media partner
- The media, in general, for the outstanding coverage and free advertising space
- The Lions Club volunteers who assist with the marshaling
- The Western Cape Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport for sponsoring public toilets
- Sportsmans Warehouse branches for entry registrations and prizes for the lucky walker number draw
- Banks R & L Hiring for a great discount on the catering equipment for PSFA’s hospitality area
- GrandWest Casino and Entertainment World World for purchasing a hospitality package
- All the companies that purchased group entries
- Olympic for sponsoring hoodies for the PSFA staff and prizes for the lucky draw
- Old Mac Daddy, Pres Les, Cape Town Tourism, Nutribullet For Health and Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages for providing prizes for the lucky walker number draw and media competitions
- NOMU and Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages for sponsoring products for our VIP hospitality area and the VOC
- Warren Lodge and his team at LIFE brand for the sterling job managing the publicity and social media for the event
- Top Events SA for organising the event on our behalf
“PSFA’s Blisters for Bread Charity Family Fun Walk is a shining example of the positive change that can be brought about when a community comes together for a common cause. By raising funds to feed impoverished schoolchildren, this event will not only fill hungry tummies but also nurture hope, unity, and the belief in the power of collective efforts to transform lives.” Petrina Pakoe, Director of PSFA.
Blisters for Bread 2024 will take place on Sunday, 25 August – We look forward to seeing you all there!